What is B12 & Why is it Important?
- It is a safe non-toxic water-soluble vitamin that is part of the B family
- Aids in the production and synthesis of genes such as DNA, Ribonucleic acid (RNA) and neurotransmitters
- Affects the development and maintenance of red blood cells, nerve cells and the myelination (covering) of nerve cells and supports adrenal function
- Maintains our energy and helps prevent fatigue
- Helps promote a healthy brain and cardiac function
- Has a critical role in the formation of melatonin. Melatonin is a hormone produced from the pineal gland in the brain that controls your sleep and wake cycles.
- Helps support optimal metabolism of fats and carbohydrates, promotes cell growth and repair, and activates the vitamin folate in the body
- Helps create strong hair, nails and skin
- Mitigates the damaging effects of stress
- Helps keep down levels of homocysteine in the blood. Homocysteine is a toxic amino acid found in animal protein and has been linked to arterial disease and heart attack
Vitamin B12 Elimination May Occur Due to:
- Taking certain medications such as metformin, antibiotics, and stomach acid controlling drugs
- Excessive use of alcohol
- Taking Vitamin C over 500mg and potassium supplements
- The natural aging process where our bodies become less efficient in absorbing it from the foods we eat
- Fatigue and muscle weakness
- Dizziness and shortness of breath
- Vision problems
- Soreness of the mouth and poor appetite
How to Get Your Daily Dose of B12 in Bioavailable Forms
- Injections help aid in the absorption of B12. Schedule your next visit at Illuminate – Face & Body Bar, they offer Vitamin B12 injections ($35) and a B Complex Shot ($35)
- Take a high-quality supplement that contains a full spectrum of B vitamins, including biotin, thiamin (B1), riboflavin (B2) and niacin such as the Mega Food Balanced B Complex ($15)
- Your gut can manufacture and synthesize missing components of the complex when your inner ecosystem is balanced by having a healthy ratio of high quality probiotics such as Mega Food Mega Flora ($20). Also include fermented drinks and teas like kombucha
- Add live cultured pickles, sauerkraut, vegetables and kimchi into your meals daily
- Adding Spirulina (blue-green algae), varieties of seaweed, dried nori, tempeh, cheese from raw milk and nutritional yeast.
- The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) suggests a 3 mcg dose of B12 daily.
To your health,